The United States Embassy, Nigeria invites applications from qualified students in Nigeria to join the EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP) in 2021. OFP funds the expense of the application procedure, comprising registration fees for required standardized examinations and offers free membership to the United States EducationUSA Advising Center for its beneficiaries. OFP requires a sincere devotion from the beneficiaries to give their energy and time to the program so that they may accomplish their aspirations of study in the United States.
There are a lot of determined and skilled, low-income scholars in Nigeria who only need financial resources and access to information to advance their academic future. For the eleventh year, the United States Embassy, Nigeria looks to identify educationally qualified and highly inspired, low-income scholars in Nigeria to become a part of the EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP).
OFP’s mission is to help talented and determined, low-income scholars who are good applicants for financial aid from U.S. colleges and schools but lack the financial resources to provide the up-front cost of getting admission.
Worth of EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program
- EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program functions closely with scholars through regularly scheduled meetings and workshops to help them throughout the application procedure to secure admission and scholarship awards to attend colleges and schools in the United States.
- EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program funds the expense of the application procedure, including registration fees for needed standardized examinations and offers free membership to the U.S. EducationUSA Advising Center for its beneficiaries.
Eligibility for EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program
- Candidates from all the states in Nigeria are allowed to apply. However, students are required to be able to reach their offices in Abuja or Lagos every month during the program for full involvement. Candidates will work with EducationUSA Advisors from June 2021 – August 2022 to attempt to secure places and financial aid to start study in the U.S. in August 2022. NOTE: ADMISSION INTO THIS PROGRAM IS NO GUARANTEE OF A SCHOLARSHIP AWARD AID TO STUDY IN THE U.S.
The selection of beneficiaries for OFP is very competitive, due to limited funding. They look for candidates with:
- Strong academic record/ transcript
- Robust participation in extracurricular activities
- Involvement in leadership roles
- Excellent community service participation
- Financial Need
NOTE: Undergraduate Candidates – If WAEC results are not obtainable; the candidate has to be currently in SS3. If WAEC results are obtainable, they should be from May/June WAEC.
Candidates who have already commenced a University education are NOT qualified to apply.
How to Apply for EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program
- Complete Application Form
- Academic Results:
Undergraduate Candidates – Attach a copy of your WAEC “O” Level grades (from WAEC website). Add Cambridge A’Level or IGSCE grades if applicable or obtainable.
Graduate Candidates – Attach a copy of your Final year transcript and degree certificate (if available) First Class only (STEM majors desired).
- Letters of recommendation:
Undergraduate Candidates : Ask a teacher or your school principal to write a letter of recommendation form, confirming your character, talent and aptitude. Please do not add a basic testimonial that does not refer to you as an individual.
Graduate Candidates: Submit the details of a professor, lecturer, or Head of Department (HOD) that they can get in touch with to find out more about you.
Undergraduate Candidates: Submit a scanned copy of your transcript from JS1 to SS3 with your mock and first term grades, if possible.
Graduate Candidates – Submit an imaged copy of your transcripts that show a GPA of 4.5 or higher on a 5.0 scale.
Compose two essays, one from Group A and one from Group B, each of around 250– 300 words. The essay topics will be obtainable on the application form you get. (Essay topics will be seen on the form)
- For questions, write an email to [email protected] or [email protected]
- Application ends on May 31, 2021